Monday, July 27, 2009

Is Football just in my Blood?

Does any one else out there often use sports terminology and analogies to describe every day events? Or at the age of 33 does anyone else still have reoccurring dreams of finding out about some oversight in the rules and suddenly realize that one more season of eligibility remains on your high school football team? ...No, I am being serious!

My little 2-year-old Noah knows the word "tickle" well. Today I thought it was time to ramp up his vocabulary and teach him another important word- "tackle". Noah practiced the word a couple times before I gave him a demonstration - a flying shot that him took him down to the turf! (No abuse here, I promise: )

After a few tries I said, "Okay, your turn Noah! Tackle Daddy!" Maki looked over will an eye-roll with an implied meaning of something like, "Is this the guy initiation into the brainwashing passion for hitting other people, otherwise called, "football"? I gave a short nod to confirm that that was indeed my intention.

The next thing I knew Noah was flying towards me and towards the ball in my hand, with a two-year-old top-speed tackle. The only problem was that this first would-be hit was a little off and actually resulted in Noah's front tooth slamming into my collar bone before any of the rest of his body got to me. Immediately I was concerned, not just for Maki's reaction, but honestly for Noah's safety. He looked up with some pain, and then I looked to see if there was any blood. No loose tooth, no blood, and then smiles started to come back... and now Noah was REALLY excited. "TACKLE!" He let out with savage glee as he lined up for another tackle on Daddy. I must say, he did a great job and he loved every bit of it. I don't know, what is this? Is this just a guy thing? Or is just in my blood?

No comments: