Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Best New Book is an Old Book
C.S. Lewis:
"There is a strange idea abroad that in every subject the ancient books should be read only by professionals, and that the amateur should content himself with the modern books... This mistaken preference for the modern books and this shyness of the old ones is nowhere more rampant than in theology... Now this seems to me topsy-turvy. Naturally, since I myself am a writer, I do not wish the ordinary reader to read no modern books. But if he must read only the new or the only the old, I would advise him to read the old."

With my new Kindle (that I purchased a few months ago) I am happy to say that I have already been able to read several wonderful old books for free. Without this invention, I would likely have never ventured so far into the past. I am happy to continue this course (Lewis' course) for the time being. In the meanwhile I am saving some trees and a lot of shelf space as well!

No comments: