Friday, February 11, 2011

7 Keys to Practical Love
National collegiate director for the Navigators, and long-time friend, Jim Luebe writes:
Here are seven simple (but not easy) biblical steps that can help you foster love and unity in any relationship.
  1. Be humble. (1 Peter 5:5,6)
  2. Believe the best in people. (Philippians 4:8)
  3. Keep short accounts and take pains to have a clear conscience with both God and people. (Acts 24:16)
  4. Don’t let a root of bitterness grow in your heart. (Ephesians 4:31)
  5. Overlook offenses when possible. (Proverbs 19:11)
  6. Make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. (Romans 14:19)
  7. Be controlled by the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 5:18)
These have certainly helped me in my marriage. I have seen the fruit of Jesus' love and wisdom in Jim as well.

2 comments:

Angela L. said...

I'm still trying to figure out how to do all this and not be a walking hypocrite.

I write this in all sincerity, too. Lol.

M&M in Japan said...

Angela,
I think Jim would say it is all about living in the hug - God's full and joyful acceptance of us. When we live in the truth that we are accepted for free then we won't need others to meet some criteria for earning approval in our lives either. The more we know God's amazing grace in our hearts, the more we are able to freely extend that grace to others who are just like us. Jesus lived and died for God's glory. For us to really love others we have to have an eye to God's glory as well, I believe.

That being said, like you, I am still far from being where I want to be! I don't think that is hypocrisy though, it is just being real about your need for sanctification.