What Rules To Have?
Whether we like it or not, we all live by rules. Spoken or unspoken, there are certain ways that we are expected to live or not live. Some rules are too strict and some are too soft. Where do you find the balance? Here is one of the best lists of rules I've found in helping guide my family into ways of peace, kindness and goodness. By God's grace Maki and I hope to show love and give stability to our kids in multiple ways. Having clear rules like this (administered with love and grace) is one way to do just that.
Gregg Harris' 21 Rules of This House
1. We obey God.
2. We love, honor and pray for one another.
3. We tell the truth.
4. We consider one another’s interests ahead of our own.
5. We speak quietly and respectfully with one another.
6. We do not hurt one another with unkind words or deeds.
7. When someone needs correction, we correct him in love.
8. When someone is sorry, we forgive him.
9. When someone is sad, we comfort him.
10. When someone is happy, we rejoice with him.
11. When we have something nice to share, we share it.
12. When we have work to do, we do it without complaining.
13. We take good care of everything that God has given us.
14. We do not create unnecessary work for others.
15. When we open something, we close it.
16. When we take something out, we put it away.
17. When we turn something on, we turn it off.
18. When we make a mess, we clean it up.
19. When we do not know what to do, we ask.
20. When we go out, we act just as if we were in this house.
21. When we disobey or forget any of the 21 Rules of This House, we accept
the discipline and instruction of the Lord.