Saturday, January 17, 2009

Some Things I Love about Japan

A few weeks ago I commented on some things that I thought were strange or unusual in Japanese culture.  Today I wanted to comment on some great things about Japan and Japanese culture.

10.  Cakes are much more lightly sweetened and therefore more distinctly tasteful.  Instead of just getting a mouth full of sugar, like you get with American cake, you are enabled to taste the various ingredients more distinctly.  It took me awhile to get used to it, but once I did, I don't ever want to go back!

9.  While I am on the dessert topic, I love the little spoons and forks that Japanese use.  It makes the whole experience of eating dessert more of a savoring and relaxing time rather than a woofing down and pigging out time!

8.  Japanese toilets school American toilets!  You can set your flow to a #1 or #2 (Depending on your job!) and you can wash your hands at the top with the incoming clean water.  What more could you want!  Of course the plug-in warm toilet seat is a nice addition as well.

7.  Japanese refrigerators are so much better.  More cost-efficient, compartmentalized and easier on the environment.

6.  Cozy houses, not hotels.

5.  Polite waitresses and waiters - especially to foreigners!

4.  Most people are thin and eat appropriate portions.  Restaurant food is good, healthy, and it is always just the right amount.  (OK I admit, I'm not a big eater.)

3.  Though most Japanese aren't very direct, they are sincere and trustworthy.  You don't get a lot of smart-alecks or blatant liars here.

2.  Japanese Christians are so precious.  They persevere under extremely dry and spiritually dead environments, face social ostracation and yet manage to do a lot of great work for the kingdom, even in their busy work-filled lives.

1.  Of course number one is my wife Maki.  Without her wonderful presence in my life, Japan would indeed be a very difficult place for me to stay long-term!  I love my family and I love my homeland too much.  God knows!

No comments: