Cultural Differences in Japan
Even after living more than 8 years in Japan, I still think some parts of Japanese culture are unusual. Here is my "off the top of my head" top 10.
10. It is rude to walk down the street while eating.
9. Never blow your nose at the dinner table.
8. Be sure to take off your slippers as you enter the bathroom and put on the bathroom slippers. Also, there should be no slipper wearing on carpets or in traditional Japanese rooms. Whatever you do, never forget to take off the bathroom slippers before you come out of the bathroom! Panic will ensue!
7. It is normal to make a big deal out of other people's kids and put down your own family in the name of humility.
6. Japanese love to listen to English songs, carols and DJs even if they don't know what the songs or words are about. English is cool!
4. Young men usually work just as much on their hair as women do. (I know because I see them at work in public restrooms.)
3. It is okay for young men to trim their eyebrows to just the right shape.
2. Christmas is a dating holiday, not a family holiday. Christmas cake is a romantic way to celebrate. KFC (Yes, Kentucky Fried Chicken) is a "traditional" favorite as well.
1. (Though I haven't seen it for awhile) It is okay for men to urinate outside against walls in urban places. - Sorry to end on a crude note, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to that one!
If you live in Japan, (even if you are Japanese!) please tell me the most interesting or unusual parts of Japanese culture in your mind.