Monday, January 29, 2007

Fender Bender
9 days ago we had a fender-bender. I was pretty steamed at first, but looking back on it now, I praise God that he spared us from injury and greater damage. OK, I confess, at first I was downright angry!
When bad things happen, sometimes it is hard to think clearly and with eyes on God's sovereignty. We love to praise God's control when things are going great. But in difficulties, if we will look at the situation through the lens of Romans 8:28, we remember that they also come for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose. What a tremendous thing! What grace that we were spared big damages, injuries and death. Maki and I deserved these, as sinners, but God spared them. He loves us.
As I thought through it, God alone knows what is best, and He gives it at every moment. If we were to die, that too would be the best plan, because it would be God's plan. Don't ask me if I could write this if Maki alone died - I am not super-man, but I pray that I would eventually be able to someday write something like this.
Going back to the accident, sin and carelessness is real and I am responsible for my faults, but even in this God wants to teach us things. He is not limited by our inabilities. He works through us and in us "to act and will according to His good purpose." - Phil 2:13
Through this we saw God's grace and also His humbling hand. (2 Cor. 12:7-10)

"
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen." - Jude 24,25

No comments: